Monday, March 26, 2012

My Take on Finances and Opportunities

Tonight is one of those nights where I am seated to my favorite rocking chair in our living room right across my mother. It took me a year before I finally got home and this means catching up - about school, work (mine and hers) and love life, or anything for that matter. 

Tonight's topic was different - finances. We are the kind of family who talk about it. She's not the kind of mother who will tell you that she can provide you with everything you needed and wanted. We become practical about everything and yes, we make good with what we have. 

Kids, when we start talking about finances, you will only realize one thing - you are indeed growing older. When your mother starts talking to you about your financial status, you can only wish you were still a 3rd grader where you can only worry about Chinese garters and rubber bands. But tonight, I become the woman who thinks. I started to look at what I can do rather than thinking on what I should spend. 

I would not deny it, there are times that I wish I am born with a silver platter if not gold. But heck, I love living with a kind of life where families work together for each other's survival. You see, there's a different satisfaction felt when at the end of the day, you are able to pay your bills. There's a totally different satisfaction knowing you still can sleep everything off and wake up being challenged by life itself and in knowing that whatever shit is thrown at you, there is no way you cannot handle it.  

So, finances it is. Living in the city and shoving us altogether from our comfort zones seem to be a sad story but hey, everybody must experience a different world and test a different water. There is always that one point in your life when you finally decide in putting everything off behind and handle what's in for the moment and get happy by whatever results. If it's bad, it's okay. If it's good, you can still make it better. 

Dealing with financial issues is perhaps one of the things that any parent would worry. To this night, I would not wonder why. Working and schooling at the same time is something I thought I cannot do but I guess I am just doing fine. There may be great bumps ahead but there is no better news than you still breathing that life inside of you each day. 

I always live up to one principle when it comes to finances - tomorrow is going to be another day. Money is something that we can find. One should be able to understand her full potentials in order to draw the strength and the guts to face the world in its harsh behavior. You know what's the most overrated lie I've ever heard? Opportunities knock only once - lie! Opportunities are there everyday. Learn to see them. Learn when to strike at the right timing. Learn to handle them. They are there for two reasons - to make or break you. That's the truth. And just for you tonight, and I hope you live with this too: If you think you are running out of opportunities, create your own. You don't have to wait for it, you can always make the moment yours. It's up for you to take it or leave it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment